Friday, April 10, 2009

Overnight oats success!!!

I was unsure about this one, but everyone is doing it - so I joined in! After crusing some food blogs, doing some google searches, and e-mailing Ms. Lindsay (http://loveofoats.com), I decided to go simple with my first bowl and do one part liquid with one part oats. I used 2/3 cups whole oats + 2/3 cup light vanilla soy milk. I also mixed in a few chopped dates, cinnamon, and flax seed. I covered it up, crossed my fingers, and tossed it in the fridge.

This morning, I remembered it's suppose to be one part oats to TWO parts liquid (oops) and added another 1/3 cup of the soymilk. I put it back in the fridge and made some granola (addapted from this recipe from Kath Eats: http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/coconut-almond-granola/). Basically I followed the recipe but ommitted the coconut and almonds.

Then I contemplated my other add ins. I stirred in 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, and then decided to microwave it because I wasn't feeling a cold breakfast. I just warmed it up for 2-3 minutes while my green tea brewed.

I topped the bowl with a couple tablespoons of the granola, toasted pecans, and a dallop of plain yogurt. Here is my creation in all it's glory: All I can say is LOVE. This was the absolute creamiest, tastiest bowl of oats I've ever eatten. I felt the need to take more than one picture.

Close up!

And another side view.
I don't think I'll ever eat oats the old way again. ^.^ Soaking them overnight gives them the creamiest, chewiest texture that I just love love love!!
What are some overnight oats combinations you've made that have worked for you?
So, I'm going to head downtown soon for Opening Day, as soon as everybody else figures out what they're doing. YAY!

No comments: